Wednesday 9 May 2012

Last Night at Home...


Oh hi J I’ve never done any kind of blog before, so this is me trying my best to be a bit of a techno-chick! But I thought it might be a nice way to keep a wee record of all our adventures whilst we’re away, and make sure I have something to look back on at the end of it all... I really have no idea what our internet access will be like once we’re there, or how much time we will have, but I will try my best to update this at least every so often J

So it’s the night before we leave for Kenya, and it’s all really exciting, although I’m also quite nervie! The journey tomorrow is going to be really long... 17 hours for me! I’m flying to Amsterdam from Glasgow early in the morning, where I’ll be waiting for a few hours before meeting my friend Aby, after which we'll wait a few more hours, then fly to Nairobi! I think I’m more or less packed, I pretty much feel like a bit of a walking pharmacy with all the medications, insect repellants, sun lotions, anti-viral hand foams and everything else that I’m taking, but it’s best to be prepared! I also went to Primark yesterday and bought loads of cute little kiddie bracelets, hair clips, rings and bobbles to give to the little girls there. Last year when I was in Uganda I wished I had thought to bring little presents like that, so this time I’ve made sure I’m well stocked-up!

We are spending a month living in Malindi, on the coast of the Indian Ocean. We’re working in the hospital there, which seems pretty big and is a general hospital, so I’m not quite sure what to expect! When I was in Uganda last year, it was a very small mother and baby clinic that I worked in, so it’ll be interesting to compare the two. I’m really excited about getting to see and explore a completely new place, meet some new people, try some new things and hopefully really get involved in local life! It’ll certainly be an adventure whatever happens, and now I’m just looking forward to getting started!

4 comments:

  1. Well done, Julia! You must be a speed typist to have got all of that down in hot sticky conditions.

    LoL

    Uncle Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at all that you are experiencing in Kenya! Your blog is a great insight into a land so far away. Keep up the good work and the blog! Your impressed Auntie Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia,

    I am thinking of going there next month. I really need your advice.
    Can you drop me a line pckma2012@gmail.com?
    Thanks a bunch

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julia,

    I am thinking of going there next month. I really need your advice.
    Can you drop me a line pckma2012@gmail.com?
    Thanks a bunch

    Peter

    ReplyDelete